I am a die hard neutral makeup lover. Pass me the taupes, bronzes and champagne colors any day. But there is something kind of fresh about the occasional pop of color on the lid. We get scared of bright colors because our mind’s eye automatically transports us to the days of big hair, scrunchies and geometric sweaters. There is a way, however, to make bright colors totally wearable and even, dare I say it, surprisingly subtle. I recruited my gorgeous sister in law to be my guinea pig and put this look into action. While not all of us can have strikingly beautiful big blue eyes, the principles for rocking this look are the same. Here are the tips that I think make bright eyeshadow modern, fresh and totally wearable!
1. Prime your lids. This step is crucial if you are going to wear a bright shadow. You really want the bright color to stay focused on the center of the lid and not migrate up into the crease (a la 1980’s blue eyeshadow disaster). I used the Bare Minerals 5-in-1 Advance Performance Cream Eyeshadow in Candlelit Peach.
2. Surround the color with a neutral. This is the single most important step to a more subtle take on a bright lid. Choose a light matte shade just a bit darker than your natural skin tone. Using a fluffy blending brush, sweep the shadow into and slightly above your crease, using wind shield wiper motions. Add more shadow to build up the intensity in the outer half of the crease. I used a limited edition shadow but any medium taupe shade would work (similar here).
3. Commit to a bright color. Choose a color that works with your eyes and skin tone. I chose a bright blue for Isabel because I thought it looked great against her tan skin and blue eyes. I used Bare Minerals Eyecolor in Chameleon. Next, you want to take a flat shadow brush and pack on the color. Don’t sweep the brush over the lid. Pat the color on gently, focusing on the center of the lid until you reach your desired intensity.
4. Keep the rest of your makeup simple. In order to keep this makeup look modern, minimize the rest of your makeup. Finish your eyes by tight lining the upper lash line and applying mascara. Try the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner in dark brown and your favorite mascara (I think this is totally personal preference). Keep the rest of your face minimal by simply applying a bit of concealer and finish the look with a soft peach lip.
5. Be confident because God made you beautiful!